Any surgery done on the body isn’t easy. It’s like invading the interiors of the body through harsh means, also can be regarded as a self-inflicting injury on the body.
That is the reason why, like in any natural injury or trauma, the body needs its natural time to heal itself, the same way after surgery also, it requires a certain amount of time to heal itself, after all, it is trauma on the body only.
That is why even after a routine procedure of knee replacement surgery, the affected part requires its own natural course of time to heal and adapt to the change. Firstly, the insertion of the metallic implant and plastic insert that form the knee joint now is artificial, and the brain and the body try to adapt to the change.
Naturally, the pain, discomfort, swelling, tenderness all are a part of the healing process and adaptation.
Hence there can be postoperative complaints like: –
• Intense pain
• Dressings can get soaked
To combat all these problems, various solutions are available
Unbearable pain can be managed by a pain-killer NSAIDS. The advancement in the technique of anesthesia, nerve blocks, and intraoperative injections can easily control the pain and can give pain-free knee replacement.
➢ Proper wound dressings
Very essential part Post-op is the dressing. It should be done with sterile materials and instruments. Your doctor will ensure the dressing hence patient need not worry. The patient will have to keep it clean that is it.
➢ Home Management
- The patient should be provided with all the comfort and assistance for the first few days especially.
- Icepacks should be applied to reduce pain and tenderness.
- Proper diet and nutrition, as well as sufficient fluid, is to be taken after the patient is discharged.
- The toilet should be nearby as it’ll be easier for the patient to visit the washroom anytime.
- Physiotherapy and regular exercise will bring back the patient quickly to normal life.
➢ Regular Check-ups
The patient should be routinely be checked with the doctor for any complications. Also, any abnormalities with the general health of the patient shouldn’t be neglected. Physical rehab becomes an essential part of the recovery process and should be taken up necessarily.